The most famous makeup “project” is Project Pan. To sum it up in a sentence, it’s a challenge where you try to finish (also known as “pan”) a small selection of the makeup you own.
I am starting my own new project, where I get to use every single makeup product I own, and there are a lot of them. Project Pan is just using up things you kind of like while your favourites expire in an IKEA Alex drawer. Why? You only have finite time to apply makeup. Sure, you don’t want to waste product, but if I had six open foundations I would want to use a sixth of each before they expire, rather than all of one and little to none of the others.
What are the rules?
- Use everything in your collection once this year (or if you’ve got a smaller collection, 3 or 6 months)
- Don’t use unopened stuff like mascara, it’s wasteful and creates decay, but if its open, use it!
What’s the point?
- Ensures you really get to know your collection and what you like & don’t like
- Keeps your makeup collection pared down if you’re regularly testing and decluttering
- Helps check all your makeup is still in date and useable/not expired
- Gives you a better idea of what you already have, which will help to prevent you from impulse buying
- Makes you feel like you’re getting a bit more of your money’s worth from all of your collection
- Forces you to try out new looks and combos you might not have otherwise used
How do I keep track?
There are loads of ways to track Project Everything
- Lists! Create a tracking spreadsheet like my own, or write a list the old fashion way, and cross off or tally each item.
- Use a sticker or a nail varnish to mark what you have used. Although be aware this can create problems if you do this for multiple years, so stick to one colour or shape per year!
- Put everything in one basket or drawer, and take it out and put it away in it’s original place as you use it. Also bonus helps you clean your drawers!
- Take a photo of the makeup you have used each day (and tag us/post in subreddit)
Where can I share updates and see others taking part?
I’ve made a subreddit for Project Everything, where you can add pictures of your daily looks and what you used, talk about how the project is going for you, and talk about the opinions you’re forming on your stash now that you’re using it so differently.
Tag us in your socials if you post about Project everything – we are @beautymarkdown on Twitter and Instagram.
Hashtag #ProjectEverything in your posts, and share this article with your friends to get them involved!
I actually had thoughts on the products I used straight away, which I wrote about in a reddit post, I’ll leave it here.
Give it a try and enjoy your whole collection, for once!
University drop-out, pretend artist, makeup enthusiast. Uses too many brackets when writing. Can’t be stopped.